If you have been arrested for a DUI in Genoa, Illinois, contact the Law Offices of Peter Buh. He knows successfully defending a DUI takes more than just calling the State Attorney and ending your case with a plea bargain. He will investigate the case to ensure that all possible defenses are explored. Cases can be won even if someone did poorly on field sobriety exercises or failed a breath test.
The following is a list of some of the defenses he have used to successfully defend DUI cases:
- The person was not legally in “actual physical control” of the vehicle ;
- The officer had no right to stop the car only because it was swerving ;
- Medical issues affected the field sobriety exercises ;
- The field sobriety exercises were given in an improper area ;
- The breath test was without the appropriate warnings;
- The breath test machine had not been properly maintained;
- The breath test operator was not properly certified;
- The blood test was not completed properly ;
What are the consequences of a conviction?
There are several factors that will raise the penalties of a DUI such as causing property damage, serious bodily injury or death. When one of these crimes is charged, it is imperative you have an attorney who has experience with these matters.
How does a DUI affect driving?
Simply getting arrested for a DUI can cause a loss of your drivers license. The Secreary of State becomes involved even before most cases go to court.
You can win your criminal DUI case and still have your drivers license suspended or revoked.
Your driver's license can be suspended for 6 months for taking a breath test with results over .08.
The DHSMV can suspend a license for 12 months for a refusal to take a breath test or 18 months if it is the second time a breath test has been refused.
If you are arrested for DUI and took a breath test with results over .08, and are otherwise eligible, you can drive using for 45 days until your suspension becomes into effect. You can challenge the suspension by filing a Peittion to Revoke the Statutory Summary Suspension. However, there are strict time limits. Contact your DeKalb County DUI Attorney or your Genoa DUI Attorney for further information.